BY: Abubakar Mohammed
Honourable Commissioner State Ministry of Health Dr. Fatima Atiku Abubakar inaugurates eight committees to Review and Validate 2010 – 2015 National Strategic Health Development Plan according to the National Framework. The overall objective is to improve the health status of Nigerians through the development of a strengthened, coordinated, reinvigorated and sustainable health care delivery system.
Terms of reference of the committee are to:
1. Review the SSHDP 2010 – 2015 Document including cost estimate
2. Review and a light our present goals, strategic objectives and intervention
3. To collect all implementation and operational plans for 2016 I to one document to from one health plan and one results framework
4. To validate the SSHDP Document in one plan for 2016 – 2020
5. Ensure the ownership, publication and dissemination of the SSHDP Document
6. Produce modalities for collaborative implementation of the plan and results framework based on the national framework.
In her welcome remarks, thanked the participants for honouring her invitation to participate in the review process. The vision to provide accessible and qualitative health care service for the citizen of Adamawa State can only be actualize through active collaboration of all stakeholders and continues improvement of the system. “We are here today because we want to contribute and learn how to became more effective managers and leaders in the health sector of our dear state” She said
The poor performance in health sector can be attributed to character and character is about person choice and commitment, why do we keep doing thing over and over again and we expect different result? She asked, “If we want same result, let us keep the system as it is. But if we want new results, we need to redesign our health system in line with national standard.”
The 2010 – 2015 SSHDP was developed in 2009 and adopted for implementation in 2010, a Joint Annual Review (JAR) was done in 2012 midterm review was conducted in 2012 and based on the 2013 midterm review report, indicators shows that Adamawa state is yet to implement the plan.
Finally, she assure the committee members about the commitment of Governor Mohammadu Umar Jirilla Bindow to reformed Health Care System in the state and call on the committee to work extra hard in order to established ownership of the reviewed and validated document. “In our part we can establish high level of advocacy, set up an implementation committee to oversee its implementation for the benefit of the entire citizenry.
In his separate remarks, the Lead consultant Dr. Abdullahi Dauda Belel said that the goals and objectives of the plan will convert eight thematic areas in line with national framework. The areas are:
1. Leadership and Governance
2. Health service delivery
3. Human resource for health
4. Health financing
5. Health information system
6. Community participation and ownership
7. Partnership for health and
8. Research for heating
“The task ahead of us now is to review the plan according to the outline priority areas. The task can be simple but very serious and hectic; we need to work very hard to actualize the vision of the present administration.” He concluded
The committee has seven day to work and produce a comprehensive draft document that will be implemented within the budgeted timeline of implementation guidelines and protocols.